One life to live but so much to give.
I am a daughter, I am a sister, I am a wife, I am a mother....
I am an in.di.vid.ual and there's so much to me....
more than I even know

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Giving it a go

I  took the plunge into making my own jam.....and it worked! I am very impressed with the end result and let's be honest, myself! haha!

It is very important to be organized and have some company
Levi will be turning 2 in early September.



I am a bit torn with having the laptop on the ledge to 'help' me. The independant part of me gives myself a bit of a pep talk about 'winging it' but the learner part of me sees the usefulness of looking a few things up at least the first time. The photo below was me googling to see ways I could wisely use up my squeezed lemons. I'm keen to try drying lemon rind in the near future.
Lemons straight from our tree. Another blessing from our great backyard!
 I was quite shocked at how big our lemon tree seems to have suddenly gotten! It is heavily laden. I am thinking of making lemon butter and lemon meringue pie. Lemon meringue pie is my favorite pie along with cherry pie. Actually pretty much any pie if I'm being honest! Pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, coconut cream pie. Pie, pie, pie!

Isn't it funny how we can put off doing something for awhile because it seems like a lot of effort but in the end when you do give it a go it ends up a lot of fun and not too difficult!

Kiwifruit jam bubbling away. The kiwis were given to me by a very generous friend from her backyard. Organic, grown all by itself fruit tastes a million times better than store bought stuff any day!


 The photo below shows you where the children stand whilst I cook. They all try to argue about who gets the step Levi is on but it basically is a combination of first come first serve, being generous and shortest gets it!

The end result! I'm thrilled! 2 to keep and one for my friend who gave us the kiwis! Finally doing more and more of the things I really want to do! I highly recommend challenging yourself to try something you have been thinking of. For me it is mostly learning new skills, less waste, using what I have. 
Oh and if you ordinarily throw your glass jars out would you mind saving some for me? We are using less and less 'jarred' foods so would love some of yours if they are otherwise going into the recycling bin.

5 comments:

Nelle said...

My parents have a kiwifruit vine, and I remember Dad making jam - and about 400 jars of jam and chutney lasting years and years! I'm so pleased you only have three jars. I think mum banned him from jam making after that.

I keep all our jars - but lose the lids! How pointless is that! I only need so many small vases...

You should try cordial next Kat! It's so ridiculously easy. Taste have a good passionfruit cordial recipe, and you should at least try lemon cordial, with all those lemons.

Clair said...

well done, i have always been scared of making jam as well. My mum makes it and has for years but i just put it in the "too hard" basket lol.

Katherine said...

Nelle...does your dad still have the vine?

Clair...if your mum makes jam that's awesome!! She can teach you! I reckon if you can crochet you can conquer the world!!

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Congratulations! I love making jam, and there's nothing like opening it a year later, smelling it and tasting it so fresh! I've gotten to where I do freezer jam more often than not now. Your lemon tree makes me swoon. I remember visiting my friend in California, and lemons were right outside her door. Heaven!

ARTwendy ... said...

Well done you!!! Massive effort ... enjoy the fruits ... xxx